The Sports Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Sports Chat
The Sports Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Top posters
madman (857)
Ratten keeps a lid on emotions I_vote_lcapRatten keeps a lid on emotions I_voting_barRatten keeps a lid on emotions I_vote_rcap 
CJCorka (529)
Ratten keeps a lid on emotions I_vote_lcapRatten keeps a lid on emotions I_voting_barRatten keeps a lid on emotions I_vote_rcap 
nanny (518)
Sumukhasai (493)
Bartel (340)
Saiyan Prince (332)
Pav_001 (221)
Buckets007 (202)
Fred100 (179)
SS2 (152)

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 224 on April 10th 2021, 11:06 am

Ratten keeps a lid on emotions

Go down

Ratten keeps a lid on emotions Empty Ratten keeps a lid on emotions

Post by CJCorka April 8th 2010, 7:29 am

CARLTON coach Brett Ratten is keen to keep a lid on his side's build up for Saturday night's match against arch rivals Essendon.

As a player Ratten was involved in some blockbuster clashes against the Bombers over the course of his decorated career with the Blues and as a coach he admitted to placing too much emphasis on the traditional rivalry.

"It's something that maybe as a coach I got caught up in a little bit myself," Ratten said from Visy Park on Wednesday.

"Sometimes you look back on history and try and educate the players on what's gone on in the past. Maybe that's been a bigger focus in the Essendon or Collingwood games compared to some of the other games and … I don't want to do that.

"Emotionally you can get caught up in things. Does it change your behaviour as a coach or an individual? Maybe it does. So that's something that I've had a look at over the pre-season to make sure that there's no harping on 'this game's bigger than any other game', because four points are four points regardless.

"I'll try to keep it on the median line and not escalate emotions. I think we'll keep that in check and make sure we focus on getting the job done and on what we have to do."

The Bombers are one of two sides - Adelaide is the other - that Carlton has not defeated since Ratten took over from Denis Pagan midway through the 2007 season.

The Dons will be looking to make it six wins on the trot at the MCG, but Ratten's focus is firmly on current events.

"We won't worry about the past; we'll worry about the present. This is the Carlton of 2010 versus the Essendon of 2010," he said.

"Their personnel is extremely different from this year to last year, similar to ours.

"I don't want to look at it [like we've won the last two against] this team or we've lost the last two. Let's take that away. Let's say that at present this is the 22 that we can put out versus their 22.

"I know it sounds very simple but maybe then the emotion gets taken out and you're actually thinking your way through to make sure the players get the information that they [need]."

The Blues trained behind closed doors on Wednesday, but Ratten obviously liked what he saw from important defender Paul Bower, who was a late withdrawal against the Brisbane Lions with a leg injury.

"Bower will be close, we're giving him every opportunity, but if there's any risk we won't play him," he said.

"We'll test him more tomorrow. The nine days [break] has been a bonus but we'll have a look at that tomorrow."
CJCorka
CJCorka

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum