The Sports Chat

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Sports Chat
The Sports Chat
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Top posters
madman (857)
Squad named for Sunday's game I_vote_lcapSquad named for Sunday's game I_voting_barSquad named for Sunday's game I_vote_rcap 
CJCorka (529)
Squad named for Sunday's game I_vote_lcapSquad named for Sunday's game I_voting_barSquad named for Sunday's game I_vote_rcap 
nanny (518)
Sumukhasai (493)
Bartel (340)
Saiyan Prince (332)
Pav_001 (221)
Buckets007 (202)
Fred100 (179)
SS2 (152)

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 224 on April 10th 2021, 11:06 am

Squad named for Sunday's game

Go down

Squad named for Sunday's game Empty Squad named for Sunday's game

Post by CJCorka April 9th 2010, 3:36 am

Fremantle has called on a mix of youth and experience in selecting its preliminary squad to play reigning premier Geelong at Subiaco Oval on Sunday.

Experienced pair Steven Dodd and Kepler Bradley have been added to the team that beat Essendon last weekend, along with new recruit Nathan Fyfe and newly elevated rookie Matt de Boer.

The only omission so far is Garrick Ibbotson, who will be sidelined for up to two months after he suffered a shoulder injury in the win over the Bombers.

Defender Chris Tarrant has been named but will need to pass a fitness test to make the final 22 for Sunday’s clash.

Dodd can play a variety of roles, with his height and endurance giving Mark Harvey the option of using him as a key defender or a run-with midfielder.

Bradley could come into the side to help Aaron Sandilands after the dominance of Geelong’s ruck duo Brad Ottens and Mark Blake over Hawthorn’s sole ruckman Brent Renouf in Monday’s game.

“They’ve got two big ruckman and it sort of took its toll on (Brent) Renouf last week,” Fremantle coach Mark Harvey said.

“It’s going to be a bit of a dilemma at the selection table whether we complement another ruckman or keep an extra running player that can keep more pressure on Geelong.

“That’ll be the decision we have to make.”

Fyfe, 18, kicked four goals in his WAFL debut for Claremont and travelled with the team as an emergency for the Essendon match.

Rookie Matt de Boer, 20, has been elevated to Fremantle’s main list, replacing the retired Dean Solomon, who was placed on the long-term injury list in February.

De Boer’s elevation gives Fremantle another run-with player option against Geelong’s fleet of midfield champions.

Despite having no Ibbotson, and with Tarrant being doubtful for the contest, Harvey said Fremantle now had the depth to cover such losses.

“There are seven or eight players who are hungry and are trying to get back into the side,” he said. “Whoever it is that we come up with in the next day or two they are going to be hungry, so I’d like to think they can add to the side because they haven’t been in the side for the first couple of weeks on the back of us winning.”

Harvey was under no illusions as to the enormity of the task his developing side faced on Sunday.

“We’re L-platers trying to become P-platers,” he said.

“We’re trying to get our license and we’re about to find out.”

Harvey said his side would look to learn from the NAB Challenge defeat to the Cats last month when Fremantle jumped their opponents early, before being overrun in the second half.

“We’ve got to be able to sustain what we are doing,” he said. “In the last couple of weeks we’ve given the opposition a few more chances than we would like. If you give these top sides like Geelong too many chances then they can hurt you quite quickly on the scoreboard and you find yourself scratching to get back into the game on the back of mistakes.

“If we can minimise those (mistakes) and put enough pressure on them, it’s game-on.”

Fremantle Squad

Backs: Jay van Berlo Chris Tarrant Ryan Crowley
Half Backs: Greg Broughton Luke McPharlin Roger Hayden
Centre: Anthony Morabito David Mundy Paul Hasleby
Half Forwards: Michael Johnson Matthew Pavlich Stephen Hill
Forwards: Des Headland Chris Mayne Hayden Ballantyne
Followers: Aaron Sandilands Michael Barlow Paul Duffield

Interchange (from): Matthew de Boer Nick Suban Steven Dodd
Nathan Fyfe Kepler Bradley Adam McPhee
Alex Silvagni
CJCorka
CJCorka